Easy Veggie Low Mein
It was rather fortuitous that we chose earlier in the week to have this meal this evening. I (J.) really didn’t feel like a spending much time in the kitchen tonight, this was really easy to prepare, and it was one of those days where we needed a quick and healthy meal.
Not a fire and forget meal, but something filling and not heavy.
I’m not exactly sure where N. got this recipe, but I really only used the directions for steps of cooking.
1/4 package noodles (it was just the two of us- you can use anything from soba noodles to spaghetti)
1 red bell pepper diced
5 stalks green onion chopped
1/4 of diced white on we had from another meal
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup sweet and spicy chili sauce
3/4 cup sliced green beans
3-4 tablespoons sesame oil (ours was spicy, but it doesn’t have to be)- can also use peanut oil
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp curry (we really didn’t have any asian spices)
You could add just about any veggies you like (water chestnuts, baby corn, edamame’s good too). Just blanch the fresh stuff, and steam the frozen stuff and give it the crispness you like.
Prep: chop your veggies to the consistency you like. That’s it. Great, huh?
1) Boil noodles to al dente (ours took about 9 mins, gave time to get the veggies going)
2) Saute the green onions in about 1-2 tablespoons of oil(I let ours get a little brown, and I liked it).
3) Add the rest of the veggies
4) When the noodles are done, add to the veggies.
5) Toss in the rest of the oils and soy sauce
6) Mix it and let it stew for a while.
7) Taste, serve.
The Whole thing took less than 30 minutes. Very good. Very healthy (well, better than burgers:). And quick. It had to be. Today was a drag.